The hunting lodge built in 1898
From the stone bench at the back of Jagtslottet (the hunting lodge) is a view of the Ringelmose forest and Kalø Castle Ruins.
The Jenisch summer cottage
This is the perfect starting point for a hike followed by a rest and a hot drink on the bench. The lodge is on the side of the road opposite Karlsladen Visitor Centre. It was built in 1898-99 for Martin Johan Jenisch, when he visited from Germany with his family, guests and servants.
The best architect and decorator
The architect behind the lodge was the famous Hack Kampmann, who collaborated with painter and interior decorator Carl Hansen Reistrup. They collaborated on several other famous buildings in Denmark, such as Marselisborg Palace in Aarhus and Aarhus Theatre.
A national Danish newspaper on 26 December 1946 stated: “No hostility towards the Jenisch family to be felt”. Such were the words of the newspaper’s correspondent for the area, Eric Boesgaard. The Second World War had come to an end. The German Jenisch family was popular among the local population, however the Danish State did not hesitate to act. Denmark’s claim for war reparations was DKK 11.6 billion, so German-owned properties were confiscated. The Jenisch family had owned the Kalø estate since 1824.