One of the first holiday villages
There is a holiday atmosphere at Femmøller Strand, attracting people from near and far. Mols Bjerge and Ebeltoft have always had a special attraction for people from the larger city of Aarhus some 40 kilometres to the south-west. This was also the case in the early 1900s: a period of considerable significance for the area, with holiday and scout camps springing up so that the city people could visit the countryside. It was also during this period that a seaside hotel was built at Femmøller (1909) and land was parcelled out for holiday homes in the areas closest to the coast.
The Egil Fischer buildings
Architect Egil Fischer (1878-1963) was among the people who saw opportunity in the sandy hills. In the years 1922-23, he bought the area and designed a complete holiday village with roads and avenues, land plots, green areas and a sports ground at the centre. The village stretches all the way to the water. He planned two squares. On one of the squares, he built an inn, Molskroen, which stood complete in 1924. Around 200 houses of considerable preservation value remain in the area today, including the eight houses that Egil Fischer finished designing and building. That was all he managed to complete in the 20 years of construction up to the Second World War. In 1957, he donated the entire area to Ebeltoft Municipality, which sold off the individual land plots.
Kirkebakken (Church Hill) in Egil Fischer's holiday village is a special place, with a lovely view. But some people may be puzzled that there is no church on the hill with its name. The church exists only on paper - it was planned, but never built. Instead there is a memorial stone with a bust, erected in 1963 after Egil Fischer's death.